Highway User Expectations for ITD Winter Maintenance
Started: June, 2013 Ended: May, 2014 Project ID #4W4464 Status: Completed
The objectives of this research are to obtain a better understanding of what Idaho highway users’ expectations are for the Department’s winter maintenance efforts and to develop new or revised level of service recommendations for consideration by the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD).
One of the Idaho Transportation Department’s (ITD) primary responsibilities is to conduct winter maintenance operations on the state highway system. The approaches used can have varying costs and benefits associated with them. For example, some anti-icing and deicing materials are effective for snow and ice control, but have environmental and vehicular (corrosion) impacts. However, in order to achieve a specific level of service in terms of winter maintenance, such tradeoffs may be acceptable. While ITD strives to provide various levels of service for different roadway categories, it is possible that the public would be accepting of different levels under different scenarios or conditions. In such cases, it may be possible to employ different methods of winter maintenance that have fewer environmental impacts or reduced costs associated with them. Consequently, it is necessary to obtain a better understanding of what Idaho highway users’ expectations are for the Department’s winter maintenance efforts. This understanding would help in establishing new or revised level of service recommendations for consideration by ITD management and staff, while still meeting the needs of the traveling public. The project encompasses four specific project objectives:
- Identify best practices used by state Departments of Transportation (DOTs) to determine the appropriate level of service for winter highway maintenance.
- Clarify potential options for ITD winter maintenance service levels.
- Obtain input from ITD customers on the desired level of service for winter maintenance efforts by the department.
- Develop winter maintenance level of service recommendations for consideration by ITD management and staff.
Sponsors & Partners
- Idaho Transportation Department (IDT) Sponsor
Part of: Winter Maintenance and Effects« Back to Focus Areas