Small Urban, Rural and Tribal Center on Mobility, (SURTCOM)
The center, SURTCOM, combines the talents of the Western Transportation Institute at Montana State University, Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute at North Dakota State University, and the Urban and Regional Planning program at Eastern Washington University into an organization that can enhance mobility in small urban, rural and tribal communities and areas.
The mission of the Small Urban, Rural and Tribal Center on Mobility is to conduct research and provide leadership, education, workforce development and technology transfer in all transportation-related aspects of mobility for people and goods, focusing specifically on small urban, rural and tribal areas.
SURTCOM works on improving the mobility of people and goods, while also addressing focus areas such as:
- Increase access to opportunities that promote equity in connecting regions and communities, including urban, rural and tribal communities;
- Innovations to improve multi-modal connections, system integration and security;
- Modal shifts;
- Ridesharing and alternative forms of transportation;
- Increasing active transportation modes, including walking and cycling;
- Land use and transportation planning;
- Smart Cities;
- Link between health and transportation;
- Workforce development and capacity building.
David Kack, Director
Phone: 406-994-7526 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • Fax: 406-994-1697
Mailing address: Western Transportation Institute
PO Box 174250, Bozeman, MT 59717
Jill Hough, Deputy Director
Phone: 701-231-8082 • Email: email@example.com
Mailing address: Small Urban and Rural Transit Center
NDSU Dept. 2880, PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Margo Hill, Associate Director
Phone: 509-828-1269 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Urban & Regional Planning Program, Eastern Washington University
668 N. Riverpoint Blvd., Suite A, Spokane, WA 99202
Links to useful external resources.
- United State Department of Transportation, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology
- North Dakota State University, Small Urban and Rural Transit Center
- Montana State University, Western Transportation Institute https://westerntransportationinstitute.org/
- Eastern Washington University, Urban and Regional Planning Program https://www.ewu.edu/cbpa/programs/urban-regional-planning