Rural Transportation Issues: Research Roadmap
Started: August, 2018 End Date: October, 2019 Project ID #4W7391 Status: Ongoing
Results & Findings
5th Stakeholder Workshop - March 7, 2019 On March 7th, 2019, the research team held a 5th stakeholder meeting via webinar with more than 80 participants. The goal of this webinar was to provide attendees with an overview of the research roadmap to date and to provide instructions for how to provide feedback and prioritize the research needs.
- Prioritize the research needs by theme. Remember that if you are not familiar with a topic or have no opinion; you can skip an entire theme, skip subcategories within a theme, or choose no opinion for a particular research need within a subcategory. (This is preferred to unnecessarily giving a low ranking to a research need that is outside your area of expertise, or not relevant to your organization's mission).
- Provide comments on existing research needs. While we have incorporated all previous comments into these research needs, there may still be some changes needed (e.g., rewording, combining research needs, duplications, knowledge of existing research, not rural specific, better suited for synthesis, pooled fund, technical assistance, education, etc.). When adding comments, please use the first comment box and make sure to indicate the research need number or description that your comment relates to. If you are aware of existing research on the topic, please provide a web link, report name, or author name where available.
- Provide new research needs. While we already have a large number of research needs and are attempting to whittle it down through prioritization, we know some pressing matters are still missing, especially for certain topics such as freight, aviation, school transportation, EMS, non-public lands tourism, environment, and frontier/remote communities. This will be your last opportunity to add new research needs before the project is completed, therefore, please use the second comment box to add new ideas.
- TRB (Sub)Committee Response. If research needs were found in the TRB RNS database (and appeared rural in nature), they have been added to the research needs list with the proposing committee's number at the end of the statement. Please provide any comments you may have on these topics (e.g., already completed through another means, needs to be reworded from original RNS, omitted an RNS that should be included, etc.).
The surveys will close on Wed. March 27th, 2019.
- Theme 1: Active Transportation (Theme 1 pdf, Theme 1 survey)
- Theme 2: Driver Education and Workforce Development (Theme 2 pdf, Theme 2 survey)
- Theme 3: Transportation Access and Mobility (Theme 3 pdf, Theme 3 survey)
- Theme 4: Intersection of Health and Transportation (Theme 4 pdf, Theme 4 survey)
- Theme 5: REMOVED - research needs consolidated into other themes
- Theme 6: Freight (Theme 6 pdf, Theme 6 survey)
- Theme 7: Weather, Climate, Resilience, and Environment (Theme 7 pdf, Theme 7 survey)
- Theme 8: Rural Public and School Transportation (Theme 8 pdf, Theme 8 survey)
- Theme 9: Law Enforcement, Crime and Drugs (Theme 9 pdf, Theme 9 survey)
- Theme 10: Aviation (Theme 10 pdf, Theme 10 survey)
- Theme 11: Connected and Automated Vehicles (Theme 11 pdf, Theme 11 survey)
- Theme 12: Tourism and Economic Development (Theme 12 pdf, Theme 12 survey)
- Theme 13: Infrastructure (Theme 13 pdf, Theme 13 survey)
- Theme 14: Safety (Theme 14 pdf, Theme 14 survey)
- Theme 15: Funding, Policy, and Economy (Theme 15 pdf, Theme 15 survey)
The objectives of the research are to identify critical rural transportation issues that can be addressed by research through NCHRP and other research programs; produce a Research Roadmap; and submit at least five Problem Statements drawn from the Research Roadmap that are appropriate for consideration for NCHRP funding in the future.
The objectives of the research are to identify critical rural transportation issues that can be addressed by research through NCHRP and other research programs; produce a Research Roadmap; and submit at least five Problem Statements drawn from the Research Roadmap that are appropriate for consideration for NCHRP funding in the future. The intent of the Research Roadmap is to assist state departments of transportation and other public agencies and help inform policy–driven investment decisions. The WTI team will conduct the research needed to create the Research Roadmap. This effort will culminate in an Interim Report and an in-person Presentation with the AASHTO Special Committee on Research and Innovation. Phase I tasks will included an Environmental Scan, Literature Review & Gap Analysis , Workshop , Interim Report, and AASHTO Presentation. Phase II tasks will include a TRB Workshop, Final Report and Updated Presentation.
Jaime Sullivan - PI
Sponsors & Partners
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Sponsor
- Iowa State University Partner
Part of: Safety and Operations« Back to Focus Areas