Transforming the Safety Culture to Achieve the “Towards Zero Deaths” Vision
Started: July, 2018 End Date: September, 2019 Project ID #4W7310 Status: Ongoing
The objective of this project is to administer safety culture training to the North Dakota Department of Transportation, as part of cohort study on organizational culture.
Many state Department of Transportation (DOTs) have adopted the Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) vision as part of their work towards the elimination of fatal and serious injury crashes. These efforts are facilitated when a DOT has a strong, internal safety culture of its own. The Center for Health and Safety Culture (CHSC) has initiated a research program to grow a strong safety culture among a cohort of DOTs by providing tools and guidance to assess and transform organizational safety culture to support safety programs and achieve the TZD vision. These resources will include:
- A standard measurement tool to assess the safety culture of each participating DOT;
- A set of relevant strategies and a process for transforming identified aspects of the safety culture the DOT;
- A range of support services to help guide and support implementation; and
- An evaluation of the effectiveness of the implemented transformation process.
Nic Ward - PI
Carol Thurn - Main External Contact
Sponsors & Partners
- North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Sponsor