Public Lands Transportation Fellows Application
Application Process for the PLTF 2023 Cohort STILL OPEN!
The 2023 Public Lands Transportation Fellows Program provides paid opportunities to advance the transportation workforce by attracting our next generation of public stewards to the field of transportation— through unique opportunities for career development and public service on key visitor transportation issues. Fellows work closely under the coaching and mentoring of staff of Federal Land Management Agencies (FLMAs), such as the National Park Service and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, to facilitate transportation planning or implementation projects for transportation solutions that preserve valuable resources and enhance the visitor experience. Through service at a unit or region/field office, fellows are invited to incite innovative change in our transportation systems and environmental lands management through significant contributions that advance cost-effective sustainability.
Position Descriptions Still Available
There are two positions supporting the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service still available for the 2023 PLTF cohort. The detailed position descriptions can be downloaded below.
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Applications will begin being reviewed on Friday, August 25, 2023 but will continue to be accepted until the positions are filled.
For applications to be eligible, they MUST be sent to Jaime.firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following items:
- Completed employment application (download here)
- Candidate statement that addresses the following in 1500 words or less:
- interest in the program and preferred assignment(s)
- interest in contributing to the Federal Lands and general understanding of federal land management and/or public service
- ability to adapt to new situations and people
- experience with GIS and/or data management
- experience working with budgets, creating reports, summarizing technical information, writing grant applications, and/or coordinating with multiple partners on one project
- relevant experience / knowledge / skills – do not be afraid to include something that does not seem to be “transportation” related as these other skills and experiences are often what makes applicants stand out
- Writing and/or graphics communication sample
- Writing sample – the purpose of this submittal is to show us your technical writing skills
- Graphics communication sample – the purpose of this submittal is to show us your GIS skills, graphical skills, and/or marketing skills
- Aug. 25, 2023 Applications will begin being reviewed. Will remain open on rolling basis until positions are filled.
- Thru Sept. 6, 2023 USFWS committee reviews applications
- Sept. 6-15, 2023 Conduct interviews and reference checks
- End of Sept. Offer positions, conduct background checks, and complete hiring paperwork
- Beginning Oct. Start Position and Orientation – Exact date TBD
* Please note that job offers will be made contingent on funding appropriations and qualified applicants.
- Watch the recordings of our informational sessions held December 14, 2022 (watch here) and January 4, 2023 (watch here).
- Sign up for our PLTF distribution list here to ensure you get the most up-to-date information on the program and reminders for the due dates.
- Still have questions? Then contact Jaime Sullivan at email@example.com