Public Lands Transportation Fellows Application
Application Process for the PLTF 2023 Cohort NOW OPEN!
The 2023 Public Lands Transportation Fellows Program provides paid opportunities to advance the transportation workforce by attracting our next generation of public stewards to the field of transportation— through unique opportunities for career development and public service on key visitor transportation issues. Fellows work closely under the coaching and mentoring of staff of Federal Land Management Agencies (FLMAs), such as the National Park Service and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, to facilitate transportation planning or implementation projects for transportation solutions that preserve valuable resources and enhance the visitor experience. Through service at a unit or region/field office, fellows are invited to incite innovative change in our transportation systems and environmental lands management through significant contributions that advance cost-effective sustainability.
Available Position Descriptions
There are a total of six positions open for the 2023 PLTF cohort. This includes 3 positions supporting the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and 3 positions supporting the National Park Service. The detailed position descriptions can be downloaded below.
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- National Park Service
Applications are due Friday, February 3, 2023 to Jaime.firstname.lastname@example.org.
For applications to be eligible, they MUST include the following items:
- Completed employment application (download here)
- Candidate statement that addresses the following in 1000 words or less:
- interest in the program and preferred assignment(s)
- interest in contributing to the Federal Lands
- ability to adapt to new situations and people
- relevant experience / knowledge / skills – do not be afraid to include something that does not seem to be “transportation” related as these other skills and experiences are often what makes applicants stand out
- Writing and/or graphics communication sample
- Writing sample – the purpose of this submittal is to show us your technical writing skills.
- Graphics communication sample – the purpose of this submittal is to show us your GIS skills, graphical skills, and/or marketing skills.
- Letter of recommendation from a current or past supervisor, academic advisor, or other person who can attest to your knowledge, skills, and character. (Letter can be sent directly to Jaime Sullivan at Jaime.email@example.com)
- January 7, 2023 Application process opens
- February 3, 2023 Applications due
- February 2023 USFWS and NPS committees review applications
- March 2023 Conduct interviews and reference checks
- April 2023 Offer positions, conduct background checks, and complete hiring paperwork
- May-June 2023 Start dates TBD
* Please note that job offers will be made contingent on funding appropriations and qualified applicants.
- Watch the recordings of our informational sessions held December 14, 2022 (watch here) and January 4, 2023 (watch here).
- Sign up for our PLTF distribution list here to ensure you get the most up-to-date information on the program and reminders for the due dates.
- Still have questions? Then contact Jaime Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org